Subject: Re: FLASH: moock flash player detection :: public beta
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 00:50:56 +0100

> as i said, this is a public beta. it's been tested on about 100
> machines, but needs the abuse of the masses. if you have time to click a
> few test links, i'd appreciate your involvement.
>
> http://www.moock.org/webdesign/flash/detection/moockfpi/

Hey Colin,

As Cheri has already pointed out the flashability group and MM are both
designing something similar and we're trying to make sure everything is
complementary rather than competitive (we're all on the same ship, afterall
;) I do hope you'll join our group so we can work together. I tested your
moock fpi on the Mac (OS 7.6, using NN 4.7 and MSIE 4.5) and have just a
couple of comments - MM came up with a rather nice looking workaround for
the MSIE problem (I think you'll like it when their sniffer goes public :)
rather than just sending those viewers to the 'no plug-in' page. It is a
workaround, but I thought you'd like to know :) Also, you're testing for
version (2, 3, 4, 5) but nothing internally. (I'm using Flash Player Version
4/14 and it passes me forward to a "4" movie fine). I rather like this
myself (since I don't want to upgrade) but I think it will leave you with
the problem of people who might have one of the two version 4 "problem"
players (the one that has a problem with music, and the one that doesn't
deal properly with passing variables). I personally haven't been able to
come up with any way to allow a "less than the newest release" of the Flash
4 players and still ensure that viewers don't have one of these buggy
releases (and a problem viewing your content)... so I think you might want
to check for specific versions as well.

Other than that, it seems to be working fine on my mac! Nice page too.
hth,
Laura

flasher is generously supported by...