Subject: Re: FLASH: moock flash player detection :: public beta
From: fritz
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 01:56:31 +0100

hi laura, cheri, and everyone else...
been out of the loop a bit on this i suppose ;) buried with work, and
flasher-l is much busier than it used to be....

anyway, here are my longish thoughts on the various detection scheme
initiatives...

i had been aware of the mm detection sdk, but not the flashability detection
effort, which looks great at a glance. the mm sdk also looks excellent so
far. seems like it will solve most problems for most users.

still, i don't think the various efforts out there (our three, plus the
hundreds of others on help sites and many flash sites) are necessarily in
competition. there are always many ways to solve every problem, and multiple
perspectives are, hence, always useful. it also is cool to see a few groups
taking this important issue on. but i have a feeling there is no single
approach that will suit every single circumstance. if there was, i betcha it
would be a windows app ;)

therefore, my code is intended to be useful to a slightly different audience
than that of the sdk. it addresses those faced with *writing* a detection
scheme, not just using one. what i'm trying to create with the sample is a
boiler-plate for developers, rather than a plug'n'play system for
non-programmers. meaning that my code may serve your needs as is, but it
also may not quite, in which case, you have to adapt and rewrite it. which
is where the documentation of the scripting methods used in the fpi comes in
(note that the docs aren't written yet...i'm waiting until the testing is
done). i think the people that use my info will be people who for whatever
reason want to write their own detection scheme because the sdk doesn't do
some weird little thing they need to do, or because they are asked to
custom-write one that their company can own, etc.

what this slant means is that i don't want to divert the developer's
attention from the main detection scheme by adding, say, a screen-res
detector, or cookies, or internal flash minor version detection. i'll save
those topics for other articles, and the developer can then snap them on as
appropriate. for example, you could do a flash-detecting-flash movie to
handle the macie4.5 audience using this info:
http://www.moock.org/webdesign/flash/detection/flash4noscript/index.html
...but that would be an add on to the main system, not a native part of it.
by keeping modules separate, developers aren't forced to include code they
don't need (which may matter on pages with very strict byte size limits).

i think that all this jives with the flashability work and the mm sdk. if
nothing else, developers will have more solid options than they have to
date, which is great.

when i get more time, i'll definitely look into joining the flashability
group.

thanks sincerely for your message(s), testing, and thoughts,
colin

// sig
<moock>colin</moock>