Subject: Re: FLASH: Objects outside of the canvas
From: Byron Canfield
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:05:35 GMT

This, indeed, poses a dilemma, whether to sacrifice the control over an
object by successively trimming it to (or near) stage size, thereby making
it a set of multi-keyframe animation, or retain control by tweening a
single object, but suffer the oversize object.

I don't have any hard and fast facts on whether this puts additional load
on the CPU, but I have a subjective observation from a particular file I
created with a large gear wheel (already "complex" due to number fo control
points) that zoomed to much larger than the stage area. There appears to be
a considerable "drag" even though much of the object does not render to the
display, as though the positioning calculations for all those control
points must still be done (makes sense if Flash's implementation of vectors
is anything like PostScript).