Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: IE 5.5 Beta-- Man its fast.
From: Wayne Townsend
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 20:20:46 GMT

>John Brzys wrote:
>
> > I just think Microsoft does not care if their browser works on a Mac OS or
> > not.
> > I keep asking the Microsoft people when I can expect IE 5 for the mac and
> > they just ignore me like they have better things to do than worry about
> > Macintosh users. And I don't blame them a bit.
>
>You can't blame them. If you are going to sell a product in your town
>with the hope of being successful at it, would you target it to 100
>people who might buy it... or 100,000. I know which way I'd go.

Rick, I just can't let that one slide... ;)

That's an old, tired, questionable, sales argument that is invalid to
web developers. There are millions of these machines out there
surfing our websites. A large audience to be sure. The *percentage*
argument is irrelevant, because a very large number of PC are not
connected to the internet, whereas the Macs, being percieved by many
as consumer machines are more likely to be. And a large number of
the PCs out there today are inadequate to run our flash stuff anyway,
lacking in horsepower and memory if they're even connected in the
first place.

I doubt anybody has any reliable relevant platform statistics, but
who cares; we're building websites, not selling software boxes.

By producing a buggy browser for an audience that large, microsoft is
hurting web developers like us. It's not a "favorite platform" issue
at all. If MS can't produce a working browser for both platforms at
the same time, then they don't deserve the market share.

Flash developers have the power these days. We're on top of the
game. We should let it be known that this situation is intolerable.
Flash developers are building the hot stuff these days. That's a
*big* stick. We should use it.

I pass the soapbox. ;)

/wayne

Wayne Townsend
waynetataccesson [dot] net
Alt: waynetatabsolute [dot] net
AccessOn.Net
http://www.accesson.net

Whats New?
Check out our latest Flash-4 "BingoTelevision" game at:
http://www.BingoTelevision.com
-Companion site to the live Saturday TV broadcast from Palm Springs
Television Studios.

flasher is generously supported by...