Subject: Re: was: Re: FLASH: Flash crash is: Mac troubleshooting
From: A.R.
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:40:01 +0100

Frederico wrote:

> So, when this happens, what do you do besides just force-quit and
> restart? Do you run DFA? Rebuild your DTs? Toss damaged prefs? Inspect
> your drives for fragmentation that easily and quickly corrupts VM and
> temp files? Or do you just restart and look surprised when it happens
> again? I'm sorry to be so snotty about this, but I'm just astonished that
> people fail to read the user's manual or seek other forms of free advice
> (that works) until they've beaten the System so badly that far more than
> simple repairs are required.
>
> Simple fact of the day: A Properly maintained and dressed Mac running
> OS8.1 or 8.6 and proven apps will *not* crash! Period! Seriously!

Hi Frederico,
well, some nice things you�ve said there, good tips you maintained for all
the
beginners out there. Thx for that.
BUT: more serious problems CAN occur, even if you take care to all those
(correctly mentioned) hints you gave there!
IF you have the perfect situation to just use your Mac for just ONE app
at a
time (like Flash)
and you have yet another Mac for the next app you use, THEN you might be
right in what u say!

But even a super clean install can crash your Mac if you have to use more
then one ProApp. at a time.
Thats definetly the fact! Period! Why?
Very easy: cause EVERY damn ProApp is installing conflicting SysExtensions,
Controllboxes
and all other kind of shit inside your System YOU WONT EVEN EVER SEE!
(Specially Sicromoft is very active with all that .dll-shit it installs) So
you don�t want that?
OK, dont use the apps then. Or find yourself some setups that only load the
desired shit once u
want to use it. You know how long u can take for that? Days and weeks if you
want to make it right!
You really believe any User is able to go thru that process? *grin* I
tell u
just NO cause you just
dont know what you CAN switch off and what HAS to be running in order to
have a proper system!

Well, ok, as a developer what you do? Do YOU have the time to do all that?
(You must have a nice boss then :-()

You HAVE to use all those apps to stay up-to-date with your work, so
clean-install everything as u like,
and you will still have either one of these problems mentioned. Workaround?

If you have a good running machine - be happy you did it right.
But, just make ONE mistake and its gone with the wind!

Lets take Netscape Communicator 4.6.1., MANY users reported unexpected
crashes.
You think they all have badly installed systems?
Or try installing Sicromoft Office 4.2.1 on a Mac with System 8.1 even with
a clean installed system, everything
running perfect before the install.
Sicromoft installes the "Object Support Lib" in an older Version than the
System uses.
This CAN cause your system to crash (in certain configurations) on the
normal reboot after install and
not letting you get back to the Finder (it just hangs on reeboot), unless
you turn all Ext. off, reboot, throw away the Ext.
(cause you anyway dont need it with 8.1 cause its IN the system already !!!)
and after that get back to work!
Who in the world should know that (nothing is ever mentioned in the
ReadMe�s) without beeing a MacGuru ;-)) ?

This is just ONE example (out of a zillion!) that could happen to u as a
macuser these days.
I ALWAYS take care of my clean system, but what if these installers just put
garbidge in your system
that you dont want? (Many of them install old Extensions or other stuff
cause they dont check the Versions
and just override the newer stuff (even APPLE supplied installers!) - in
this case even Sicromoft-Installers
have a more secure way, cause they ASK you if u want to keep the newer EXT
or .dll and not just erase it)

See: Theory is always good, reality is something else in most cases!

Only in situations when u just use "easy"-apps like text-based stuff (Claris
Works) or just a FEW apps
(lets say u have 4-5 different apps on your machine) As soon as u have to
use Sound, Multimedia, Graphics, 3D
and more other apps AT ONCE on your computer - you can be in trouble!
Even purging your RAM (i do it!) will help only in certain situations,
not avoiding ALL of the problems i�ve mentioned.

So, just be friendly with us stupid Macusers - and don�t try to tell us that
taking care to all you mentioned
will avoid all the stupid problems that can occur. It won�t ;-))

A "loving-the-Mac" User
Alex
- Das NICHTS ist die Kraft, durch welche das ETWAS in Erscheinung treten
kann ... -
- The NOTHING is the power, through wich SOMETHING will arise ... -
- (Alan Watts) -
digitalwelten - new media -
phone: +49 / 69 / 61993358
fax: +49 / 69 / 61993359