Subject: Re: was: Re: FLASH: Flash crash is: Mac troubleshooting re: rodmann
From: Frederico
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:00:25 +0100

On 7/23/1999 3:28 AM, A.R. via rodmannatdigitalwelten [dot] com, said:

>So, just be friendly with us stupid Macusers - and don�t try to tell us that
>taking care to all you mentioned
>will avoid all the stupid problems that can occur. It won�t ;-))

A.R., (may I call you A.R.?)

You make some very fine points, but I think if you'll take the time to
reread my original post, I make all the required exceptions and notations
where generalizations are made. Every single one of your detailed points
is covered by my general advice, and allows for the unwanted extents
issues with Flash or any application. Further, I followed up the post
with not only more details, but an apology for spouting off in the manner
I did.

And just so you don't think I or my group use Flash or just a few minor
apps at a time, a typical web/media Mac running in our house has running
(at the same time) Emailer, Netscape/ Explorer (alternating between
versions as needed), FilemakerPro (or 4D), GoLive, Dreamweaver (yes, both
at the same time), BBEdit, Photoshop, ImageReady (or MediaCleanerPro),
Freehand (or Canvas), Flash (3 or 4), some form of QuickTime editor, some
sound processor like Raygun or Performer, and optionals like Acrobat
Exchange/Distiller/Reader, RealPlayer, QT Player, QT Conferencing,
Director, Bryce and/or Raydream and/or DCAD, maybe Poser, various
System/Finder enhancements, and many other assorted 3rd party apps, and
the dedicated HTML-ers also are likely running VirtualPC and W95 and/or
W98 and or NT with related browsers. Very few of our Macs run dedicated
single apps, those are usually the ones doing video/audio capture or
playing server duty. Only the video capture machines have the occasional
freeze when someone loses site of the cap, the rest are pretty rock-solid
and stable.

Yes, you will note that no MS office products are listed. While we do
indeed use MS Office and related products, we avoid running them at the
same time as the rest, firing them up only long enough to get the data in
and out to other more stable and easy to use apps (save accounting, which
runs Excel and ClarisWorks in dedicated mode), given the likelihood that
running MS apps will step on other apps. However, even you must admit
that Office98 has done a great job (after the triple-patch updater
releases last month), and no longer presents anywhere near the issues
that that joke of an app called Office 4.2 gave us (remember the MOM
extent? Yikes!) just for being installed. RealPlayer still likes to
install those pesky DLLs, but since they are libraries, not extents, when
and if they cause an issue they can be loaded on the fly via AppleScript,
and unloaded when no longer needed.

Yet another example of why a Pro is fool to use only a single volume,
rather than have multiple volumes at hand to isolate trouble makers,
provide a spot for a known-good System for cascade backup and on-the-fly
restoration to keep working (when that boss is not so nice), and a place
to install a virgin OS and only the app that drives you crazy. The number
of benefits goes on from there, and is too numerous to count for you in
one post. Just installing Communicator and all the garbage it installs
that will kill your apps alone (like IdleTime and AIM extents) is worth
having a dedicated, current backup (though any pro/SOHO user foolish
enough to use Communicator in conjunction with web and graphics apps at
all, rather than more stable, technically equal or superior apps pretty
much deserves what they get).

What is the point of my last three paragraphs? Stability and proven apps.
The ones listed (save Communicator), when properly configured and
maintained can easily survive each other, and following the
troubleshooting outlined in my original post, paying close attention to
disabling 3rd party shareware and utilities in favor of the major players
until the conflict is found, and just plain old TLC to your System and
directories is all most Flashers need to do to run and be happy.

You'll also note that not a single game was listed above. Do we play
games? Certainly, but no game is allowed to be installed on a primary
System, and are only run from alternate volumes dedicated to testing new
apps and playing unstable and generally buggy games. Pro users, once
again, are foolish to punish their primary System and config (aka, bread
and butter) with silliness like games. Do yourself a favor, either buy
another drive, and/or partition what you have to give yourself that extra
System you can beat up all you want, allowing you to return to work as
you require.

I hope you can now see better where I'm coming from, and are able to
recognize we are, and always have been on the same page. I simply chose
not to go into extreme detail on list about every possible conflict, but
gave a very general (yet precise) strategy to determine if such a
conflict actually exists, or whether the issues can be attributed to
System, System or application resources, or media damage. My advice
directly parallels your intent. I also offered the ability to contact me
directly, and I generally at that time advise anyone seeking advice on
persistent crashing due to conflicts to send me an Apple System Profile
(get permission first), and I then troubleshoot all those arcane and
mysterious conflicts you mention from the depths of my more than twenty
years on Apple machines, free of charge.

In short, I'm not talking out of my ass when I discuss how to run
multiple apps with success. I make a fine living making sure it happens,
and am more than happy to help anyone on this list enjoy and earn from
their Macs as I do.

HTH, Regards

Frederico

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."--Arthur C. Clarke

Think AltiVec