Subject: FLASH: line weight in Flash: suggestion results
From: Alan W. Presley
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:12:39 +0100

Howdy "Howdy", Suzy and John:

Thanks for your replies!

For those who just tuned in here is the problem:
Whenever I tell a drawing to animate an enlargement using tweening,
the line weight thickens until the final frame, then the line weight
reverts to the original specs.

ie. the smaller image is a button who when clicked, enlarges. the
lines in the original drawing (1pt) thicken proportionately (to 4pt)
which is what I want, and display until another button is clicked.
However the line goes back to 1pt when the tweening is finished. So
now the drawing is 4x larger, but the lines go back to 1pt.

I have tried each your suggestions and posted the results below
(for reference: Flash 4 running on Macintosh G3 B/W, OS8.6, 192MB RAM)
[for Frederico: fresh restart and only Flash running. ; ) ]

From "Howdy":
>This is just a guess -- I really don't know -- but if you select the
>item for tweening and then hit "break apart" from the "modify" menu
>until the item's filled with grey hilite, does that fix the problem?

Well, the original was made in Illustrator 8 and although the "Break
Apart" option is available, it does not do anything.

I then took the Illlustrator file, used it as a template and redrew
it in flash. At this point, they are broken apart and the "Break
apart" did not have an effect.

The lines still reverted to the original line weight.

Next:

From Suzy:
>i have encountered most vexing problem with respect to line weights as
>well. the way i handled it was to make it a shape tween as opposed to a
> motion tween. this approach gave me the desired result.

The Motion Tween made some... interesting 70's effects, kinda like a
lava lamp. It did not move as one unit, more like the individual
parts swimming to a certain location.

not exactly what I was looking for, but a good effect for another project.

Next:

From John:
> In addition to Suzy's shape tween trick, Flash 4 gives us another tool.
> Convert your lines to fills.
> Modify > Curves > Lines to Fills

This is an interesting new tool. Just the tool I need. Except... It
only randomly converts some items and deletes others. (also it
deletes random parts if you undo and select "Lines to Fills"
again...??? )

SO, what I had to do is use the "lines to fills" tool, then replace
the parts it deleted as fills. Then with the fills, the Motion
Tweening (not shape) worked. The item enlarged and held a
proportional line width. Although I guess at this point it wasn't a
line anymore it was just thin fills...

Thanks for all the suggestions. If anyone has any more, Please speak
up! If I find anything else, I'll let you know.

I need to find something a little more reliable or I will be forced
to remake the entire project... :(

Alan
Temporary R&D Researcher ; )