Subject: FLASH: Flash 4: Trouble getting Tell Target to read an expression
From: Judy Miller
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:24:00 +0100

Good Morning,
Please excuse me for sending this to two lists, but I am absolutely baffled.

I have a movie clip called Main Movie and inside it there are two movie clip
instances called Tut1 and Slider. Slider has a button that tell targets
Tut1. Well, I can telltarget it to go to a specific frame in Tut1, but I
can't get it to read an expression.

This is the expression that doesn't work:
Begin Tell Target ("/tut1")
Go to and Stop (/:FrameNumber)
End Tell Target

If I replace /:FrameNumber with a hard coded number, it works properly.

We have although successfully dragged in another copy of the button into the
Main Movie clip and had that one communicate with the Tut1 clip successfully
using the same variable expression.

On another note, we changed the tell target to one that was wrong as a test
and a message came back saying that the base was in _level10/Slider

Now that messed me up, because I thought that unless you use the Load Movie
command, that the entire movie resides in level 1 including all movie clip
instances.

Any ideas????
thanks,
Judy