Subject: Re: FLASH: Scenes and Tell Target
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:46:00 +0100

At 02:20 PM 6/28/99 -0600, you wrote:
> I'm fairly new to Flash, and I've seen allot of discussion about NOT using
>scenes. But I haven't really seen any harm in it until now.
>
> My situation is that I've got a movie with only four scenes, named:
>Preferences, RIP Main, Start and Edit. The movie has been working fine.
>But I wanted to add a MC to the scene named 'Edit' that I could control with
>a button. The MC has 10 frames with a stop action in frames 5 and 10. On
>the Edit stage I placed the MC and gave it an instance name of 'Pre_Toggle'.
>I then placed a button and provided it with the following:
>
> On (Release)
> Begin Tell Target ("/Pre_Toggle")
> Play
> End Tell Target
> End On
>
> Now when I test the movie, the Output window states:
>
> Target not Found: Target="/Pre_Toggle" Base="_level0"

Hi Jerry.

When you create the TellTarget action, do you see the MC instance name in
the drop-down box of targets? You should, since you're on the same
timeline. If you don't see it, perhaps you've created a new, unnamed
instance of the MC by inserting a keyframe. Place the MC on its own layer
to insure against this.

The way your MC is set up now, when it is first encountered by the playback
head it will play to frame 5 and stop. Clicking the button once should
cause it to play to frame 10. Clicking again should cause it to loop and
play frames 1-5.

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.