Subject: Re: FLASH: importing files into flash 3
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 22:34:30 +0100

At 6:39 PM 6/28/99, Bruce Conolly wrote:
> I've a detailed map generated in freehand 8.0 weighing in at 1.3 meg.
> Upon exporting this file as an eps and importing to flash 3, our
> machines (G3 233 / 160 ram) crash or complain of lack of memory.

I've seen this crossposted elsewhere, so will be brief:

-- Doublecheck available real RAM... whenever converting, you'd need at
least two copies in memory.

-- Definitely do test chunks of the file... no need to do it all at a go
(copy in the lakes, then the streams, then the mountains and the woods)

-- Simplify curves as much as possible in FreeHand... that Simplify Xtra
can perform an important first step in curve minimization.

-- If you can't export that entire map as a SWF, then bring it in a piece
at a time.

-- Definitely do consider overall map complexity too... I don't know how
far down that particular 1.3M map will go, but it still sounds like a hefty
download (rephrased, can the content be re-edited for the web?).

-- Watch out for odd content... bitmaps in the map will be large,
gradients can be complex, etc.

-- EPS is "Encapsulated PostScript" and is not intended as an exchange format.

-- Prove the integrity of the system by trying small files first... if
these don't go then you know you need to reconfigure.

These are some of the initial steps to take when analyzing such a situation.

jd