Subject: Re: [flasher] [OT] Macromedia's stupid banner ad policy
From: Remik
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:41:49 -0000

Fight the stupid banners and ads! Here's what I have done about 2 years ago
and it works great.

I use a hardware based firewall/NAT/VPN/everything box, that allows me to
block content from certain domains from ever reaching my browser. The
number 1 spam-master in this category is Doubleclick, which most companies
link to directly for the ads (right click on any of the ads to see where the
ad/image originates). What you do is you add doubleclick.* (ie:
doubleclick.com, doubleclick.net, etc) to your filter list on the firewall,
and all content from those hosts gets filtered out and will not even be
downloaded, before the page is displayed in your browser.

Simple, effective, and stops those ultra-annoying refreshes, redirects to
other sites, and blinking content, not to mention doesn't put any money in
the pockets of those who carry these ads, since the ad never gets
downloaded/displayed in the first place. I know one person (myself) won't
make or break MM's income from advertising, but I have shared this with many
people already and ultimately this will make a difference. In the short
term, it stops the annoying ads and banners.

Over time when you see ads still popping up in your browser, see where they
come from (right click on the image), and block those domains as well.
After just couple weeks you'll have a nice list of ad-spammers, and be free
of all the junk and have a nicer, smoother browsing experience.

Enjoy!

Remik

PS: This was done with a hardware firewall, but I'm pretty sure it can be
done with most software based firewalls as well. Even if you are on
dial-up, I'd still recommend a decent firewall not only for your own
security, but to provide for features such as this one here...