Subject: Re: [flasher] Re: small fonts confusion - confusion conclusion
From: Mike Kelly
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 17:37:01 -0000

I'll conclude this short monologue with myself with a few useful
conclusions, to make a change from just asking annoying questions ; )
Please let me know if I am in error with any of this!

"Flash 5 and anti-aliasing, with special regard to small fonts."
It is possible to turn anti-aliasing on text off by putting the text in a
"dynamic text" box, as long as you don't use the "font outlines" option; or
by putting it in a "static text" box with "Use Device Fonts" checked.
These options seem to work however, only by directly displaying the font "as
is" on the host system. Therefore, these options won't display your font on
the viewer's computer unless they have that font installed on their system.
Solution for small fonts, where anti-aliasing looks bad, or makes text
illegible? Use a common system font with anti-aliasing turned off (see
above), or (better) find a small font designed for use in Flash, which looks
aliased even when it's anti-aliased, e.g. www.atomicmedia.net or
www.miniml.com. When using one of these fonts, if you're using a dynamic
text box, make sure you do include font outlines.
I would also recommend that you brush your teeth regularly, and look both
ways before crossing busy roads.
Regards,