Subject: Re: [flasher] setVolume
From: Erin Doak
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 18:28:54 -0000

>I am new to action scripting. At frame 0 I put a movieClip containg a sound
>on one layer 1 I named the instance "sound".
>
>On another layer at frame 40 I put a movieClip that had a placeholder
>graphic.
>On this movie clip I put in an action script to lower the volume.
>
>onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
> _root.sound.setVolume(25);
>}
>
>It didn't work.
>
>thanks david

Unfortunately there is a lot more to it than this. The ActionScript
Reference Guide is a good place to start. Read p.91. The basic steps
though are:
1.import sound
2. select item in library and choose linkage
3. give sound an identifier (a name like "mySound") and choose export
this symbol
4. in a button or in a keyframe add this code:
s=new Sound();
s.attachSound("mySound");
s.start();

You don't even have to have the sound on stage to use it.

Hopefully this is a start. The manual is better though.

Erin Doak