Subject: Re: Flash 3 vs. Liquid Motion
From: colin
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 22:14:26 +0100

> I had the non-pleasure of running onto
> the blokes who hacked this Java app at a trade show here in L.A.

There's actually quite an interesting
history behing LMP. Originally, the
software was developed by a company
called DimensionX. I believe it was
founded by the original co-author of
the Java language. They were the second
company to license Java for web use,
Netscape being the first.

I had the opportunity to test out the
original Liquid Motion Pro, before
MS snatched it up, and found it to be
an excellent visual development tool
for the time(96.) But, it's implementation
on the web was problematic and downright
buggy. Applets would load halfway and
die.

The program was also astronomically priced,
as you mentioned, at $800. You could have
the same basic functionality with [remember
this?] Macromedia's Applet Ace freeware.

But, then came the height of the Java frenzy
and MS was buying anything they could that
was associated with the language. They paid
some undisclosed sum for DimensionX, moved
their developers up here, and then gave away
LiquidMotionPro for free on their website.

But, LMP was completely incompatible with
IE4's JavaVirtualMachine. You couldn't even
install the program on a machine that also
had IE4 installed. Why? Because the program
itself was written in 100% pure Java, and the
MS implementation obsoleted their own product.

So, I think what we're seeing here is a newly
revamped "compatible"(in the loosest sense
of the term) version.

But, to the query of the original posting,
have you checked out the flash java examples?
I have been quite impressed at how the vectors
translate. Take a look at this in particular:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/how/subjects/jpdemo/high.html

If you really wanted to compare Liquid Motion Pro
to one of Macromedia's tools, I'd say that Direcor
6.5 would be a more accurate comparison. Director
is now a full-blown Java development tool, even
though Macromedia is somewhat silent in saying so.
Director now outputs custom Java Class files, as
opposed to simply attaching it's actors to premade
applets. Macromedia licensed their Java implementation
from Metrowerks, and I'd definately be more comfortable
going with a cross-platform/browser Metrowerks/MM
tool, than a proprietary MSJava program. Might want
to check that out if you are serious about Java.

Kind Regards,

colin hand.