Subject: Re: backgrounds?
From: Brad Bechtel
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 17:39:55 +0100

>Okay, the background is on a layer all by itself. It shows up in the first
>frame and then is never seen again. There's nothing else on that layer
>(Layer1) and the rest of the elments are in layers 2-11. I have the
>timeline for Layer one set the entire length of the movie.

If you're trying to use a layer for a background (say, to display an image), then the layer's frames must extend for the entire length of the scene or movie in which you want to display that layer. It sounds like you have the image set up in a key frame in frame 1, but no blank frames following the key frame, so the SWF will only display the image for one frame.
You can add keyframes to the movie by going to the end of the scene, selecting the last frame in that layer and pressing F5.

If you're just using a solid color as the background, it's more efficient to just use Modify > Movie and change the movie's color to that background color.