Subject: Re: Cry babies...
From: Matt Gitchell
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 18:17:52 +0100

Tracy wrote:

> Regarding viewers and how willing they should or shouldn't be to wait ... I
> believe that an audience who is looking for artwork is more willing to wait
> for a longer download. But an audience who is looking for information is
> going to become frustrated at anything that holds them up for so long.
> Alan's interface's function is to present financial information, so his
> viewers are likely to be in a more impatient mindset. That's just the way
> it is.

This is spot on.
I've always been a proponent of tiny file sizes, and although the overall file
size may not matter so much in Flash, it's important that you get people
something to see quick.
Like 3-5 seconds quick, I'd say.
I think another mistake that's often made is to put a big animation upon
download that people can't escape from.
Apologetically (as John C. has been more than helpful to yours truly), I'm
going to pick on www.FlashCentral.com for a second.
If I go there and select "gallery," there's an animation that sets up all the
menu choices. Fair enough.
But if I go to Macromedia's gallery, then hit my "back" button, I have to sit
through _both_ animations, which takes like 30 seconds.
Granted, I'm probably a top candidate for a Ritalin prescription, but I think
providing people with a means of clicking through the setups is probably wise.
Instant gratification should at least be an option.
I made this same mistake on the first (Flash) incarnation of
http://www.coloradoavalanche.com where there was a 15-20 sec animation sequence
whenever you entered that page.
I eventually added an escape hatch in the form of a "skip" button (before
removing it all together after my hockey team got eliminated...snif).

I think this diaper is starting to chafe...

--Matt
Matt Gitchell
ersatz multimedia cat
mattgatnavidec [dot] com