Subject: RE: Talking about Bandwidth-Some People Are Missing The REAL ISSUE
From: Jim Beck
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 18:41:57 +0100

Now that this horse is nearly dead, I'd like to get in a few kicks myself.

In my experience, software manufacturers and designers both tend to eat up
all available bandwidth and processing headroom with new features and cool
stuff. For example, I am about to build a new Pentium II 350 box. I know
for awhile I'll have a killer fast machine. But probably within a year a lot
of the software I count on daily will upgrade and those new versions will
suck up all I've got. Some apps we all use right now will take as much
processing speed as they can to the point of degrading performance. I
believe bandwidth will be the same way; once the masses have faster
connections, designers and manufacturers WILL exploit that speed, but
probably to the point that we will be about where we are now speedwise, just
with lots of cool stuff we didn't have yesterday.

Here in Alaska we have some of the most sophisticated distance learning and
telecommunication networks on the planet, and probably have more internet
users per capita than most states. But a lot of us live way out in the woods
away from urban areas and the ability to get a fast(er) connection is a LONG
WAY OFF for a lot of reasons. In my office I have never been able to connect
faster than 26.4. The only blessing is my connections are clean and solid.
My first look at the original Signposts site worked fine... I did not at all
have the same complaints as many did.

J i m B e c k
jimbeckatalaska [dot] net

H u m a n S o l u t i o n s