Subject: RE: Talking about Bandwidth-Some People Are Missing The REAL ISSUE
From: Carrie Dailey
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 03:37:17 +0100

> ----------------------
> Matt Gitchell
> ersatz multimedia cat
> mattgatnavidec [dot] com
> ----------------------

I agree with you also, Matt. There are many angles with which to view the
topic. You made several valid, and oft-used points in your post. I must
say that, even though to a certain extent, I believe the basic truth of my
statements, I was indulging in a little good-hearted debating also.
However, I don't think you're acknowledging exactly how much leverage we
(consumers) actually do have with the "powers that be" in terms of what
technologies are advanced and marketed. And it isn't just the fact that we
would be CREATING a market for large, complicated web sites. There already
IS a market for that type of development. Everyone that has responded
negatively to the idea of the production of large multimedia files seems to
hold the opinion (in general) that the web is strictly for the corporate
presence. This simply isn't the case. There are as many people online
these days seeking nourishment for their artistic hunger as there are
seeking price lists, catalogs, tech support, etc. Granted, I seek out these
bland, cookie-cutter sites occasionally myself. I am looking for something
"useful" and I want to find it and get out. Why would I want to surf around
and enjoy the scenery at Dallas Dave's Driver Library....or Thelma Lou's
House of DLLS? I get what I want and just....get out.
On the other hand, the majority of my time online is spent <ahem>
surfing....the meaningless pursuit of eye-candy, brain stimulation, sights
and sounds that render me speechless. And I would venture to say that I am
not the only one to whom this applies. We need to remember that we AREN'T
cut from the same mold. That is precisely the catalyst for the popularity
of the web as a publishing medium. Everyone who aspires to do so may
express themselves in any manner they choose and in a forum where any
number of people have access to their work instead of having their work
relatively isolated in niche publications.

Perhaps not in YOUR practice. In your area of web development, you are
obviously extremely restricted in the material and resources that you can
use. Many of us, however are not.

hell with
the consumer," in this case with respect to bandwidth, you're inviting
problems.

I certainly never said anywhere in my post "to hell with the consumer". I
was pushing for the advancement of technology that would ultimately BENEFIT
the consumer. I was also pushing the theory that necessity is the mother of
invention. If faster connections are required for consumers to adequately
enjoy our work, then you can bet your old Aunt Sue's knee-high stockings
that Industry will provide it for us POST HASTE.

Thank you for your comments, Matt. I appreciate the opposing arguments.
:)
Carrie