Subject: RE: Web evolution, was: RE: Talking about Bandwidth
From: Jim Beck
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 08:47:33 +0100

I quite agree with most of what you said, and am glad you responded. First
of all, I need to clarify what I meant (and i think what Carrie did too) by
"eye candy" - I don't mean stuff like rollovers, graphics, etc. (more on
that later...). I mean sites that are dedicated to art and aesthetics -
sites as Carrie so aptly put - that exist solely to "satisfy the appetite
for art." (that's not an exact quote - what she said was better but
hopefully you get the point). In your post below you write "...somebody
pushed the technology." my point is that that "somebody" wasn't artists
(unfortunately) - it was business, driven by the quest for money. Hopefully
artists and those of us who appreciate art will also benefit from
technological advances - I think we will. But in my view we won't be driving
the bus.

When I wrote "bland mass-market = $$$" it was my own shorthand for saying
that it is the (mostly) bland mass market's money and will, driving
technological evolution on the web - I would never advocate for bland web
sites of any type be it information, retail, arty, or whatever.

One distinction I believe that must be noted is that artists and designers
are pushing the visual and aural DESIGN of the web - and should continue to
push, hard, in new directions. But it is my view that it is money that
pushes the technology and hardware. Hopefully the technology and hardware
advances of the future will better support the creative visions of artists
on the web.

As far as graphics, rollovers, etc., that's great! Interface design studies
show users like rollovers because it gives 'em just a titch of reassuring
feedback. Anything a designer can do to make users feel relaxed, oriented
and comfortable is a good thing for informational and retail oriented
sites - so it is utilitarian as you pointed out AND arty, hopefully. I'm
sure folks are burned out on this thread, but hey - that's why you get a
message header and a <delete> key. Interesting discussion.

J i m B e c k
jimbeckatalaska [dot] net

H u m a n S o l u t i o n s
humansatpobox [dot] alaska [dot] net