Subject: Re: FLASH: Giving out source files
From: John Croteau
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 20:22:28 +0100

Hi Russell, Gary and all,

> What I consider to be "Source Files" are the .fla files.
> Art files, are completely different.
Not really. Depends on what you are selling.
If you are doing a regular Flash piece that uses neither unique Art nor
unique code or routines, then there is only a small value to you in the
FLA. But providing the FLA is a value added service that you may or may
not want to provide. As stated before (unless otherwise stated in a
contract) the client has exclusive rights to use material you provide
them, but does not gain full rights (copyright) to modify your Art or
your Code (FLA) unless you give him that option.

> Now, I'm not an "artist" by trade. If you are giving the client the ability
> to update them, that is your business.
It does not matter how much of an Artist you or others consider you, as
a copyright holder you can give away any or all of your rights. That is
your privilege and right. What is right for one person may not be right
for another. Those who consider Artist's rights more important than
other rights usually consider themselves artists :-). But we have a
wide variety of talent with a wide range of talents in the Flash world
and no one person's rights are more important than another's.

BTW, the copyright laws for most major countries are now the same
because of international treaties. The differences are mostly in
interpretation of the laws not the laws themselves.