Subject: RE: FLASH: turning over .fla files
From: Phillip Kerman
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 20:03:38 +0100

I don't want to discount what others have said about selling or turning over
source files... but I have a different opinion. Maybe I just incorporate
the value of the source files into my starting price--but I always include
source files.

==Source files may not be as valuable as you think:
I figure even with the source files, my clients are not likely to just "turn
a switch" and create another project. The "programming" turns out to be a
very small portion of the entire project. I figure if you plan a project
well, you'll only spend 10% executing the programming. The majority of time
is involved creating graphics and designing functionality. Sure you can
dump a lot of time prototyping... but if you plan well, you should spend
little time programming. So it turns out the source files have less value
than you may think. If you invest your time and soul you tend to think the
files have more value than they really do.

A couple other thoughts.

==Charging for reused code:
I reuse a lot of code (more so in Director but a little in Flash) where it's
possible. So in a way, I'm giving it away to new clients. The first client
pays for the development and then the next client gets it for a fraction of
the cost. On the other hand the new client must invest in new custom work.
It all "comes around" and generally adds to the value I have (with all my
experience etc.). Occasionally you can apply a price for the recycled code,
but usually I just charge by the hour.

==Giving code away protects yourself:
Not only do I archive my source files during a project at home and on the
client's machines... but after I'm done I turn over the source so they can
hire someone else to do the updates (as I may not be able or want to). If
you think a client is going to hire someone else to save a few pennies you
have pretty dumb clients. Mine generally try to get me to return to a
project but sometimes I can't... and it's nice to sit back and say: "you
have all the code you need to update it."

==Finally:
I'm all for finding ways to make money, but I really disagree that giving
away a little old file is "giving away the store". I think of it this way:
if your source files are so easy for someone else to re-use then you're only
providing a commodity and indeed you should be careful giving it away.
However, the product I think most people are providing is the whole
thing--design, concept, and programming.

Phillip

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com