Subject: Re: FLASH: turning over .fla files
From: Gregg Caines
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 20:45:41 +0100

Well I come from more of a programming background and
less of a design background, so maybe my take on this is
a bit different (and maybe not so relevant to Flash design).

Source files are always easy to reuse. I've updated lots of
other source code from other programmers without
understanding a great deal of it (and without needing to
understand it, because the work is already done).

But the fact that something is easily reproducible by others
doesn't mean its a commodity. Take pain relief medicine for
example. Tylenol spent millions in R&D coming up with a new
pain relief drug that didn't contain Aspirin (I'm allergic to
Aspirin, like many other people). As soon as they came up
with something, it was easily reproducible by any other
drug companies, but luckily, because of patent laws they
were able to produce the Tylenol formula exclusively for a
number of years before other companies had the legal right.
If it wasn't for patent law, and the notion of intellectual
property, there would be no incentive for such excellent R&D
work. Sure pain relief medication with the Tylenol formula is
a commodity now, but to treat it like a commodity right from
the beginning is a disservice to Tylenol (and would have put
them out of business).

If you consider all your hours of work, trial and error,
education, and headaches, you might not look at the FLA as
just a "little old file". I think whatever the developer decides
to do with the FLA is fine...just consider its real worth. We're
not just pumping gas here.

Just my opinion... :)

Gregg Caines
n e o m e t r i x systems inc.
http://www.neometrixsystems.com
gcainesatneometrixsystems [dot] com

> ==Finally:
> I'm all for finding ways to make money, but I really disagree that giving
> away a little old file is "giving away the store". I think of it this
way:
> if your source files are so easy for someone else to re-use then you're
only
> providing a commodity and indeed you should be careful giving it away.
> However, the product I think most people are providing is the whole
> thing--design, concept, and programming.
>
> Phillip

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com