Subject: FLASH: Need a detection scheme alternative
From: Jefferis Peterson
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 13:53:01 +0100

Hi Folks,

JD was helpful on the DW3 list, but is probably on vacation :-) I've run
into a particular problem that is mainly to do with Coding the
alternative image in a file if the person doesn't have a Flash plugin.
Perhaps corporate wisdom here might help:

If the first frame of my flash has a menu and I choose to publish an
alternative gif or jpeg, FLash creates an image map where the buttons
work as they do in Flash. But if the menu is not on the first frame of
the Flash, I don't get a menu alternative.

>You might consider using Flash's regular "Publish" features to put out an
>alternate image if JavaScript cannot determine that a plugin is installed.
>You can then add the imagemap info atop this... the map coordinate simply
>won't be called if the Flash is being played.

I was using the publish feature with the detection. It published the
other image, but I couldn't figure out how to add the image map to it in
DW, since it doesn't appear on the page that I'm editing. Can you just
open the image itself without a page and add a map to it? or Add it in
Fireworks? Where and how then do you add the code to your Flash
generated page. That's the reason I thought you might have to add it in
the NoEmbed area...

The reason I wanted to use this method of detection rather than
the Flash sniffer is because I use the Load Levels command in part of the
Flash to play music by user selection. Mac IE 5 handles this nicely, but
IE 4.x doesn't. I am willing to force fellow Mac users to upgrade if
they want to see the Flash and will put an explanation there for them.
The other alternative is indeed a redirect, but I was trying not to
create a splash page for the opening index page.

Jeff

Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
Flash and Web Design
http://www.PetersonSales.net
Tel & Fax. 724-458-7169

ICQ 19112253

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com