Subject: Re: AW: FLASH: I'm looking for good Flash examples
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 19:26:59 +0100

I'll add my thoughts to this thread, because it concerns basic issues and
principles of information design.

First, I want to agree with Robert Warnke that a lot of web design (Flash,
Director, and other media) wastes the user's time. I see lots of Flash
design that is cute (or boring) rather than functional, and it seems in
those cases that the designer is using Flash as a toy rather than as a
tool. I am guilty of this at times -- there's a great temptation (sometimes
pressure from the client, too) to add clutter because it seems cool, when
in fact it slows things down.

But there is a dilemma to any information design that I think Robert is
ignoring. There will ALWAYS be a time delay between the request for
information and the response. Formulate a question. Find the right book.
Look in the index. Turn to the right page. Scan for the information you
need. Go somewhere for more details. There's always some delay.

The web sometimes gives the appearance or promise of instant gratification,
but it is always an illusion. There is always download time to contend
with, and as the data stream gets faster, everyone wants to use it to
stream bigger blocks of data. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Web design options are limited: 1) download everything first, forcing the
user to wait a long time (advantage: once the wait is over, everything is
quickly accessible); 2) download in user-requested blocks (more waiting,
but it's broken up into shorter durations); 3) stream the information
(something's always accessible, but it's not always what's most important
to the user). A great advantage of Flash is that it allows all three of
these options, and it is then up to the designer to find the right balance.
The designer could design many versions of the same site and let the user
choose, but that would be costly and the user might not have the time or
experience to make good choices.

There is also the issue of different learning styles. Some users want the
information in text only, others benefit from visual or audio elements.
Some like humor, some don't want to be bothered. These are designer issues.
In the end, different sites will appeal to different users.

A lot of the discussion in this group has to do with streamlining Flash
presentations: building smarter interfaces, adding preload sequences that
are meaningful and transparent, reducing file size while preserving
esthetics, etc. I think Robert's comments are a valuable reminder to
developers, because he's advocating from the user's perspective. Yes, he's
being unrealistic in demanding content that is 100% user-controlled AND
100% instantaneous. But, you, know, a lot of users are totally
unrealistic, and the user is the ultimate judge of whether our work .

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>