Subject: No Subject
From: Colin Dickie
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 20:23:36 +0100

<004301bffae1$44f118a0$cfec93c3@net>
Subject: UKNM: Re: Show us your briefs (was Shortsighted 'net' experts)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:18:49 +0100
Sender: owneratchinwag [dot] com

Lois wrote:
>cos nine times out
>of ten the lack of a proper brief results in too many assumptions being
>made, and when there's no time to keep getting hold of people to sanity
>check then gaps start appearing.

Surely the concept behind working together, lies with the fact that =
confer quickly and efficiently with your colleges, before problems have =
a chance to arise.

The problem with the 70's management structure was the 'job description' =
when people repeatedly said "sorry not my department", and a hundred =
years ago the problem with self-employed home workers was the lack of =
wide ranging experience and knowledge.

The New corporate structure must lie with teamwork, where groups 5-10 =
work closely together, not only to handle the 'specific' task in front =
of them, but to communicate, philosophise and inspire each other to =
overcome future tasks.

Although I could be called a teleworker at the moment myself, and remote =
discussions like these 'communicate, philosophise and inspire' I feel =
the best way to accomplish these things is to work face to face with =
people.

With out job descriptions and even without specific goals/tasks for the =
long term, people can share information, develop new understandings, =
realise each others strengths and weaknesses, and the groups strengths =
and weaknesses, to push forward In a direction that could never be =
achieved by a feasibility study.

Corporate structure is changing and will depend on sharing and =
communicating knowledge with others, the communication failure Lois =
outlines, is not acceptable under this new regime, if it ever was.

Working in groups is great for morale, sharing experiences (and jokes) =
which could never be the same stuck in a room by yourself tickling a =
plastic keyboard. Some tasks I can do better by myself i.e. accounting, =
however I'm not an accountant and when I started building our management =
structure I found a much more efficient book keeper. This leaves me =
able to be more creative (which I'm good at), we're realising our =
strengths and weaknesses!

Share knowledge like you would fruit pastels.

Colin Dickie
Managing Director
MERCHANTNAVY.COM LIMITED
colinatmerchantnavy [dot] com
Tel: +44 (0) 1957 744388
Fax: +44 (0) 1957 744269

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036