Subject: RE: UKNM: Banner Ads
From: Russell Goldsmith
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:29:52 GMT

Lucy, I don't see how you can say that banners should just be awareness only
given we've had cases of over 20% click-through. At the end of the day, it
simply depends on the overall objective, and then how you achieve that in
your planning and execution. For fear of repeating myself from a previous
thread in this group - here's something I sent last week about click-through
vs awareness

Awareness vs Clickthrough

1. Awareness

We set up Butterkist's sponsorship of www.popcorn.co.uk and none of the
buttons, sponsor slots or banners that appear throughout the entire site,
link away from the site - infact, butterkist dont even have their own web
site - yet, here is a quote from their brand manager

"Butterkist's strategy is to create an association between watching movies
at home and eating Butterkist - 'Stay Home, Watch the Movie, Eat
Butterkist'. By using a different and groundbreaking approach, the first of
its kind, awareness of Butterkist has been driven through www.popcorn.co.uk
which has enabled us to capitalise on already existing interests of the
movie buff. Coupled with the highly apt name of the web site, its high
traffic flow, and an on-pack website address the success of this contra-deal
has gone far beyond expectations. Prompted awareness of the brand has risen
to 69% and we believe the web activity has been instrumental in driving this
increase. By showing the link/logo on every page of the site, Butterkist has
optimum visibility and thefore a high recognition rate by the user as they
move around the site while the link to the competition page enables the user
to further interact with the brand. This highly innovative approach to brand
awareness taken by Marketiers 4DC has been instrumental in the success of
Butterkist and furthering the
Butterkist/Movie link."

2. Click-Through

Having said all the above, banners can also work for click-through. We
created an HTML banner for TheSite.org - which is a site for 18-22 year olds
who, leaving home for the first time, may be looking for help and advice on
anything from careers and housing, to sex, drugs, relationships etc. The
banner had a drop down menu allowing people to search for advice on a number
of topics within the banner itself, and placed this in specific sections of
Lycos, and against keywords. When you entered a keyword and searched the
banner, it took you directly to the page on thesite.org's web site where you
got the information you needed - not their home page. The click-through was
over 20% - so successful, Lycos aksed to use it in their media pack. Here's
a quote from their marketing manager:

"With click-throughs of over 20% for part of our campaign for thesite.org,
Lycos worked with our agency to prove that banner advertising still has a
key role to play in an online marketing strategy. We were truly delighted
with the results that were generated."

Russell Goldsmith
Market Tiers 4DC
29-55 Gee Street, London, EC1V 3RE