Subject: UKNM: Fair Trading - Amazon, etc. -Reply
From: John Enser
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:24:28 GMT

Michael,

You are right that there is some legal protection out there against big
companies driving little ones out of a market, but it is damned hard to get
there.

The key is not just trading at a loss, to be unfair, it has to be "predatory"
and carried out by a "dominant" company. Economists have spent many
years arguing about what is predatory (or indeed whether it is unfair at
all) but the European Court says something is only predatory if below
incremental cost or (sometimes) if above incremental cost but below
average cost. Dominant generally means market share of 45% + (and
someone would have to claim that online book retailing was a different
market than bricks and mortar...).

Disclaimer - not legal advice etc

John

>>> <Speechradataol [dot] com> 6/January/2000 09:47pm >>>
I am prompted by this to ask list members' opinions.
bentloyatibm [dot] net
writes:

<< Going hand in hand with this is the significant drop in share price of
AMAZON yesterday, when they announced that even though their
sales had
increased and their losses (which I believe are expected to be in the
region
of ($500m) for this financial) wouldn't increase - but they weren't
decreasing. >>
Amazon have repeatedly said in interviews something to the effect that
they
are not trying to make a profit but to grab market share so that they are
left standing when e-commerce takes off - or words to that effect. I'm
sure I
heard Mr Bezos say something similar on a BBC TV interview.
My understanding of UK law is that if, say, Dixons, Tesco or WH Smith,
decided to trade at a loss until all the competition went away that the
Office of Fair Trading would take a dim view of that sort of practise. I'm
sure that there are similar regulations in the USA (I'm told, for example,
that it is actually illegal to give away food on the streets in the US ???)
Of course, I may have got this wrong, Amazon may be trying to make a
profit
but just aren't very good at it.
Any legal experts (or Amazon competitors) out there have an opinion on
this?

Michael Trott
www.northofwatford.com - the UK Midlands Internet Entrepreneurs
Group
www.speechradio.com - audio content providers.
Selling the shovels for the Internet gold rush!
This firm is regulated by the Law Society in the conduct of investment
business. A list of partners is available for inspection at Olswang, 90
Long Acre, London, WC2E 9TT. This e-mail is intended only for the
above named addressee/s. This e-mail may be confidential or legally
privileged. If you have received this e-mail and you are not a named
addressee, please delete it from your system and contact the Olswang
IT department on +44 171 208 8888 (x8422).