Subject: Re: UKNM: Fair Trading - Amazon, etc.
From: Martin Phillips
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:25:15 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <Speechradataol [dot] com>
To: <uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com>
Sent: 06 January 2000 21:47
Subject: UKNM: Fair Trading - Amazon, etc.

> Amazon have repeatedly said in interviews something to the effect that they
> are not trying to make a profit but to grab market share so that they are
> left standing when e-commerce takes off - or words to that effect.
> My understanding of UK law is that if, say, Dixons, Tesco or WH Smith,
> decided to trade at a loss until all the competition went away that the
> Office of Fair Trading would take a dim view of that sort of practise.

I'm no legal expert, but I seem to remember the OFT telling The Times
newspaper to increase its cover price, as it was using 'predatory
pricing' (the term used for buying market share). So I think you're
right that the OFT takes a dim view, but only if Amazon are selling
books below cost - with The Times the situation was that the paper
was being sold for less than it cost to produce (if I remember
correctly).

It's a minefield, but I think one of Amazon's competitors could
complain. I don't think they'd win, because the government also take
the view that we're in 'ripoff Britain', so prices should come down
(and so say all of us).

Martin Phillips
Danbury Mint
www.danburymint.co.uk