Subject: Re: UKNM: RE: lastminute.com does delight its customers!
From: Jo Chipchase
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 14:19:01 GMT

John Braithwaite wrote:

>Surely Brent failed in this issue as he forgot one of the basics rules of PR
>- don't get too defensive or speak unless you have to. The whole
>lastminute.com appraisal on this list would have lasted a maximum of a
>couple of days and he could have remained anonymous.
>Check out the Boo manoeuvre - keep quiet whilst the storm rages and join in
>after it all blows over. We now have a regular contributor from boo and his
>addition to this list is one of the many reasons why there are so many
>'anonymous' subscribers out there.

I don't agree. The proactive following up of postings made in newsgroups
and discussion forums is an important part of Internet Reputation
Management. In many cases, it pays to counter negative postings before
they have a chance to propagate into other forums, or get reported in other
media.

From the IT sector PR chapter I've written for the forthcoming "Public
Relations Handbook":

In some cases, corporate reputations have been saved by the monitoring of
virtual forums. For example, during March 1999, complaints about Pioneer
DVD players began to appear on newsgroups. Pioneer contacted complainants
directly via email, and offered to fix their DVDs an approach that
contained the negative publicity, preventing it from reaching a wider
audience. Conversely, Intel chose to ignore newsgroup discussions about
the now infamous floating point error in its Pentium chip. Eventually the
story was picked up by the mainstream media and Intel had to spend millions
repairing the damage.

The monitoring of virtual forums is especially important to publicly quoted
companies. Investors are increasingly using message boards to discuss
companies and share stock tips. AgriBioTech saw its stock fall by more
than 20% when negative messages were posted on a message board provided by
the popular search engine/directory, Yahoo!.

In some cases, newsgroup postings can provide a proactive PR
opportunity. For example, a posting on the uk.local.london newsgroup
during August 1998 suggested: "If you want free PC banking, try First
Direct. As for NatWest, I wouldn't bank with them if they were the last
bank in the universe". The discussion soon spread into other groups,
taking the NatWest debate to a wider audience. Had NatWest spotted the
postings and responded quickly (it failed to do so), it could have reversed
the adverse coverage and enhanced its reputation. After 24 hours had
passed and nothing had been done, at best an issues management job could
have been implemented. Clearly, there was also an opportunity for rivals
of NatWest especially First Direct to respond and emphasise the benefits
of their services. For the PR practitioner, an opportunity existed to act
as 'Internet guardian' and advise the companies on how to proceed.

CAN-U-HACK-IT
Internet & Publicity Services
http://www.can-u-hack-it.com