Subject: Re: UKNM: Brainstorming - PC's Next Victim
From: Danny O'Brien
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:34:00 GMT

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 07:53:15PM -0000, Silas Denyer wrote:
> The major difference here, IMHO, is that moderating language which is
rooted
> in ignorance, loathing, prejudice, etc. is to be generally applauded for
all
> the reasons you point out. However, by your own definition, singling out
> "brainstorming" is PC in the extreme. The term has never, up until now it
> seems, been linked with Cerebral Palsy, and the whole issue seems to have
> been manufactured to suit somebody's need for power, influence or general
> malfeasance. This particular issue is precisely the sort of thing we
should
> rail against before we are all dragged down by it.

Unless, of course, no-one has ever suggested that "brainstorm" ever be
deprecated, least of all pressure groups supporting sufferers of cerebral
palsy. You'll excuse me if this has my eery "urban myth" spider sense
tingling. I'll gladly nod to a corroborable instance, but so far, all I've
seen is an unsupported statement, which happens to a) provoke a lot of
discussion, b) has both elements of humour and horror to it and c)
encapsulates a strange, threatening, or mysterious "other".

Of course, it could also be d) true, but I reckon it doesn't have to be to
spread as far as it has, as I'm sure all you experts on viral marketing will
know. A lot of "political correctness gone MAD!!" stories are like this:
it's
a popular carrier for urban myths.

Still, God forbid that people should start questioning what people tell
them!
Where would marketing be then?

d.