Subject: RE: UKNM: ATTENTION: New Business People
From: Matt Jones-ONLINE
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 16:01:00 +0100

> If the project isn't going to have a jot of originality
> involved then why
> should we bother worrying about it ? If you are too lazy to spend 10
> seconds with a pen and paper then what effort are you going
> to put into
> the project ?

hmm. interesting reactions.

for my money (and a lot of the bigger clients money, methinks) if "jot of
originality" =
spinny-slidey-rotating-vector-collegeproject-knock-off-sub-designersrepublic
-watchthetext-getbig-thensmallagain flash animation which seems to be the
norm for most design-led outfit's portfolio sites, then give me a bit of
HTML1.0 anyday.

The fact is, that I'd guess Clay is trying to build websites which achieve
something for his clients, whether it's buying something, getting to then
reading some info, whatever... objective-led sites. And in finding people
who understand how to design, build those, user-test them and make 'em
industrial-strength, he's pretty objective led too - i.e. he'd like to cut
and paste the phone number.

As i'm sure you know, (and have experienced yourself) the web makes people
impatient, makes people demand what they want when they want it - not just
experienced users like Clay but net novices like my 68 yr old iMac'd-up Dad,
who simply doesn't understand why people would want to make him wait a
minute and a half for a 20 second animation before finding the site doesn't
have anything he wants (probably because it was loaded with misleading
meta-tags to get it to the top of his fave search engine...) - the point
his, he's quite happy with "the usual staid html and gifs" if the design
work has been invested in the site to make it easy, quick and pleasurable to
*USE* for him.

Flash has it's place to be sure, but Clay arguement is not about
flash/html/dhtml/shockwave, or any of the other things that my dad (and
millions like him soon) don't give a flying f*ck about, it's about a product
being fit for it's use - people involved in the creation of digital media
should be focussed on that... hence, at the very least put your phone number
commented out in the HTML... ;-)

love,

Matt xxx

p.s. friend of mine was in paris last week at the macromedia conference and
saw flash4 being demo'd on a PDA (Pilot i think)... could the curse of
non-user-centred design spread to mobile applications soon....ARRRGH!!! ;-)