Subject: UKNM: Re:Secure servers
From: ....
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:35:30 +0100

>Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:40:43 +0100
>From: "Charles Linn" <charleslatfoe [dot] co [dot] uk>
>Subject: UKNM: Credit card fraud
>
>Has anyone come across cases of credit card fraud in this country or abroad,
>involving intercepted secure transactions where the encryption has been
>subsequently cracked? We would like to put a statement to the effect that this
>is either very rare or non-existent, on our web site to allay people's fears as
>we percieve a lingering and unreasonable distrust of e-commerce out there.

>Our IT manager sensibly advised that if people were interested in credit card
>fraud, they would find it a damn site easier to get a job as a waiter, but I'm
>not sure that our audience would find this altogether comforting.
>- --
>Charles Linn
>Web Producer
>Friends of the Earth
>
>http://www.foe.co.uk

Okay .... go to a petrol garage or supermarket. Buy some goods and pay by CC.

Where does all your card details end up ? In someone else's hands. Dead
easy to rip you off.

Now compare that to setting up a machine to intercept details being sent
to a secure server.

Get my drift.

Lee

* -- leeaturbanmediadesigns [dot] com -- *
* -- urbanmediadesigns.com -- *
* -- djindex.com -- *
* -- summerfestivals.com -- *
* -- and soon ... wwvinyl.com -- *