Subject: RE: UKNM: Needle in a haystack?
From: Tomski
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 12:44:34 +0100

>I'd like to also back this up from my personal experience. Trying to use a
>browser as a user interface for anything other than what it's designed
for -
>hypertext browsing - sucks. Don't do it.

aw piers, you're just scarred by a *really* nasty experience with a
browser-based tool - that nightmare doesn't mean that browser-based tools
are all useless (and trust me, I saw the aberration I suspect you're
referring to above, and it stunk).

for a distributed content management (where people inputting/managing
various sites are in many different locations, continents even), building
your main editor/producer UI in a browser really is the only scalable
solution, and if your UI and workflow thinking is clear, then it's not
impossible.

we've made darn sure we went for browser-based tools to manage a growing
network of 10 multilingual local sites in places as far apart as norway,
chile and new zealand. what is the poor editor in santiogo going to do when
his bespoke application goes wrong? wait for someone to fly over and
re-install?

hell, capital interactive were managing a network of 8 sites from a
browser-based content management system back in early 1997. i turned all
capital's homepages pages black when diana died - sitting in my underwear
at home using my browser.

what are online banking / share dealing / shopping if not complex browser
based tools? they're darn hard to develop, but worth it, cos the platform
is ubiquitous.

but software development in a browser? nahhh....

-Tom