Subject: Re: UKNM: Fulfilment hell
From: Peter Borg
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 15:08:47 +0100

--- Fiona Campbell-Howes <fionaatquinquireme [dot] com> wrote:
> Or better still, a choice of online text chat with a helpdesk
> person, "call-me" button or decision-tree-based problem diagnosis

How about just a phone number? One of the things that irritated me
the most was that I couldn't just pick up the phone and call HMV
about the order. The email response I got was far from satisfctory,
but I just couldn't be bothered to push it.

So I went elsewhere and the lost my business.

Fair enough, many users can't connect to the internet and make a
'phone call at the same time, but that's going to be less of an issue
going forward.

The chat button is a really good idea. I've only come across it once
- at lastminute (boo,hiss) - but couldn't get through. Don't know if
this was because of our firewall, their server, or just that no-one
was available.

This also requires some typing skill to be effective.
One-fingered-keyboard-user bloggsj who surfs a bit and has bought a
book and a cd might get fed up with it just because he can't type
quickly enough.

The decision-tree stuff can be good, but has to be extremely well
planned, and written in terms the real-life user will cope with
rather than in terms that someone who is involved with the product
finds obvious. Otherwise people use it once and never again as they
don't find the answer they want.

M$ products use this idea in their "troubleshooters" but the few
times I've used them they've just annoyed me as they didn't have the
answer I wanted. Doesn't mean it wouldn't work if properly done
though.

Peter.