Subject: UKNM: Re: what I wonder
From: Matthew Law
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:46:02 +0100

This is actually quite an interesting story, back in the sixties some
geezer took over an abandoned WWII anti-aircraft platform, declared
himself ruler and claimed independence. His name is Prince Roy of
Sealand(!).

Although the platform is only 6 miles out to sea, is was outside UK
territorial waters at the time, and despite the Navy going over there to
try to intercede, Prince Roy fired warning shots across their bows and
they retired.

The Principality of Sealand has had quite an amusing history since then,
including a war, a kidnapping crisis, where Roy's son was taken hostage,
and a fake passports scandal:
- see http://www.sealandgov.com/ for more info

At present it lies within the UK claimed territorial waters (12 nautical
miles) and no nation in the world has officially recognised the state of
Sealand, although a German ambassador did visit it once.

As to whether or not they really will be free of UK regulations, who can
say, but I certainly wouldn't want to chance it.

sorry if this is a bit off topic, but it really tickled me when I found
out.

Matt Law
Sense Internet
www.sensei.co.uk