Subject: UKNM: retailers & brands
From: Ian Tester
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:25:24 GMT

very very interesting question this. i've got a fair amount of experience
both from working for a big e-comm player (who must henceforth remain
nameless due to their new owners shocking defacement of the good lampposts
of camden), and from some strategy work looking into category expansion.

a great example of the problems is the cosmetics industry. 3 major player
control well over 60% of the global market - revlon, l'oreal and estee
lauder. many many players tried and died trying to launch this business
online (they're all consolidating / going bust heavily right now, as we
predicted earlier in the year </smug>). our client goes to the big 3, tries
to get hold of some stock, and gets a blatant turndown on the basis that
they can't afford to alienate their core trading partners (the very very
large department stores such as federated), and that additionally, they're
not prepared to have their products sold in an inappropriate environment
(imagine trying to create the analogue of selfridge's perfume dept online).
so pretty well all the sites launch without the 3 category-killing brands.
even sephora.com, which is both a major offline in its own right as well as
a amajor distributor for the brands, can't get a look in. if they carry any
grey label stuff, they are instantly in major major trouble. result - online
retailers deprived of over 60% of the world's most popular stock.
interestingly, some of the big 3 (can't remember which) are now taking
strategic stakes in the businesses left standing. mind you, if i was a
prestige brand, sold in places such as the major dept stores, where you have
a huge amount of control over positioning, branding, pos and pretty much
everything else, i'd be nervous too.

now the e-comm stuff - we were working with very high-end brands, most of
whom had a minimal web presence and almost all of whom had exactly the same
2 concerns as the cosmetics guys, but were working in a market where no
retailer had the real scale of the department stores. we had to *seduce*
them into supplying us most of the time, offering them editorial control
over microsites, and one of the major reasons we spent so much on our "spin
& zoom" technology was that this was a killer app to make suppliers sign.
they just weren't willing to leave their products online as a small crappy
gif. and i don't blame them - they live or die by their branding.

yes brands should beware when moving to the web, because their offline
trading partners could well take umbrage, especially if the market is
composed of a few, strong players. they should also be very very sure that
the etailer can deliver the kind of awesome service that you'd expect
offliners to provide. we did that by mimicking the queues you have to endure
in some of the best stores, and by not letting commoners with macs into the
store ;-0

some of the more interesting examples of suppliers going direct recently -
umbro.com (awful, awful site), reflect.com from P&G (great concept), and
levis (who own their own stores as well as relying on retailers).

i've just realised that this doesn't read very well, but i am full of flu,
so i don't expect too much ;-0

Ian Tester, Business Accelerator, EMAP Digital
http://www.emap.com - building the most exciting media company in the world
Exmouth House, Pine Street, London EC1V 0JL, UK
T 020 7868 7574 F 020 7868 7514 M 07880 557692 E ian [dot] testeratemapdigital [dot] com
AIM iantester