Subject: Re: Re[2]: UKNM: so net marketing types?
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 15:22:24 +0100

Well stone me, and I thought we were arguing about whether the banners
looked good or not. Just goes to show how easy it is to misundertand the
written word.

I will therefore try to make my point a bit clearer.

1. I think the banner ads used as part of the promotion of Sky Digital were
among the best UK-designed banner ads that I have seen. I found them
amusing, creative, eye-catching and absolutely clear in the point they were
trying to make.

2. As someone with a long-standing appreciation of art and many forms of art
I found nothing offensive in the manner of their design. I am of the opinion
that form and function are inextricably linked and that to try to elevate
art (or even design) as some kind of higher ideal is the kind of elitist
crap that should have been abolished with the Victorian era.

I am moved by beauty, compassion, humanity, courage, wisdom and many other
high ideals. But I am NOT moved by web site design any more than I am by
toilet paper design, but I appreciate when both jobs are done well and
irritated when either is done badly.

Am I in the wrong business? That's my bloody business and nobody else's but
my shareholders' and clients'. Or have I missed someone's attempt at
imposing some kind of cabal on membership of the kewl net community?

I thought this list was about net marketing. So why all the moany groany
when we talk marketing?

3. As a buyer of banner advertising impressions, and sometimes of banner
creative, my professional opinion is that these banners ought to have
created a positive response both in terms of building brand equity and also
of generating response. I can't vouch for how honest the people behind the
campaign are, but they tell me the response (by click-through rate) exceeds
5%. Seems like a good result to me. As to the brand raising, don't suppose
it has been measured.

I did not look at the campaign as a whole in any detail as I have better
things to do with my time. None of the parties involved are clients of mine
so I have no particular axe to grind. Others can venture an opinion on the
campaign as a whole if they so wish.

Does the campaign damage the reputation of capitalfm, express, lycos or any
of the others? Not for me to say. Site owners must define their own criteria

for managing their relationship with their users and for ensuring the
quality of their offering is not diluted by advertising campaigns. I was a
business press editor for many years, strongly defended the editorial
product from advertising incursions, and never had any particular problem in
doing so. At the same time the magazines I edited also provided excellent
promotional vehicles for our valued advertising customers. I see no conflict
between the two aims, just a balancing exercise and one I performed
particularly well, perhaps because I don't walk around with my nose in the
air, my head in the clouds, etc.

Again, I hate to be the source of anyone's depression. I few hours spent in
the real world, or experimenting with a sense of humour, might help any
others afflicted.

Love and kisses,

Ray Taylor
Planet Philistine