Subject: Re: UKNM: Free ISPs Vs. Paying ISPs (Don't Mention Dixons)
From: Steve Bowbrick
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 17:55:20 +0100

Worth noting while we mull the death of BT Click that its model and
Freeserve's are identical - neither of them is actually free - the
difference is in the price of the call. With Oftel's blessing, BT *may* be
able to reduce their per minute price to bring it in line with Freeserve et
al in time. Meanwhile, BT Click has benefits - like not having to register
- which may bring in some punters.

As 'free' services proliferate we will presumably begin to forget that
there was ever a charge for access and the only differentiator will become
the per minute charge - BT Click representing the upper end, an 0800
ad-funded service the bottom and Freeserve the mid-priced Middle England
service.

Voila - an elegant continuum, running from genuinely free (freeserve isn't
free, YOU FOOLS!) to really rather expensive (but with lovely extra
features to justify the price) and, to boot, a much simpler marketplace
without the silly complication of contracting with *two* suppliers for home
net access (how funny that will seem when we're explaining it to our kids
in a few years - like getting Joe's Gas to put the pipe in and British Gas
to supply the smelly stuff).

--
Steve Bowbrick Webmedia Group
0171 292 5545 0468 257 570