Subject: Re: UKNM: Free ISPs Vs. Paying ISPs (Don't Mention Dixons)
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 17:55:21 +0100

---Nick Suckley <nick [dot] suckleyatvirgin [dot] net> wrote:

> You might be interested to know that as a digital terrestrial broadcaster
> ONDigital are only be able to provide a one way broadcast service - I think
> I'm right in saying that web access isn't possible.<snippity-snip>

I thought that half of the appeal of ON Digital was that Midland Bank
were partnering up to provide e-commerce services, with the upstream
data going over a good old fashioned phone via the gift of modem.
Remember, they used to call themselves British *Interactive*
Broadcasting...

They will be offering various services, but no web browser. Which is
criminal, as many companies like Spyglass and NCI offer lightweight
web browsers for set-top which are very happy running on top of lovely
microkernel OSes like OS/9 and GEOS. Cor blimey, guvnor, I love
embedded systems...

As one of the lucky few that still has memories of the early nineties,
I can recall Commodore & Microsoft's expensive 'Interactive TV'
adventures - I can see Sky/ON Digital similarly making a complete hash
of providing interactive services.We'll wait and see, but I can't help
thinking that they should be offering web as well.

Remember kids, history repeats first as tragedy (demise of Commodore),
then as farce (ON Digital).

C&W are planning an interactive DTV service, but will be offering web
too - having seen a sneaky preview of their service on Newsnight
recently, I'm hopeful that they will do a good job. This is probably a
completely leftfield idea, but I think that cable may end up being the
victors in the DTV battle.

Before you all choke with laughter, I qualify my response by saying
that I predicted France would win the World Cup well before the start
of the tournament. Then again, I also said that Linux was for geeks
and would never be taken seriously - which is why I have a big old
slice of humble pie for breakfast every morning.

As for Stefan, your sarky unhelpful reply merits no response, except:
are you Tom Loosemore in disguise?

Sajid Mohammed
Prophecy ON Demand