Subject: UKNM: UK NET MARKETING
From: Peter Beech
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 12:23:55 +0100

Tricky this, but I feel it has to be said.

This is a Net Marketing list - whether the 'postees' are 'old media
converts' or 'new media evangelists' doesn't matter - it should be the
marketing insight that they bring to the party that counts, not who they
are or who they were.

Let me try to explain what's going round in my head:

The 'Old' worlders bring experience of previous lives and marketing
practice. They may or may not agree with the 'ideals' of the 'New' - their
approach is more likely to be about making this new media 'opportunity'
work for their clients. 90+% of client companies are illprepared for the
potential of the Net and Net marketing - they have little/no ability to
handle real one-to-one / relationship / dialogue marketing. All praise to
the few who are re-engineeriing their businesses to work in this new
paradigm. Some (slightly more that few) are retooling their current
marketing departments to handle it - in reality this is often a refinement
of database marketing, refining their ability to handle smaller, more
targeted, segments of customers. Most are still blissfully unaware of the
real impact that networked media are going to have on their marketing - let
alone their businesses. 'Old' world philosophy is let's bring clients along
with us, coach them, not bully them - and, let's face it, for most clients
their immediate future is in doing what they do now. It takes vision (and
balls of steel) to change something that doesn't look broken!

'New' worlders bring revolutionary idealism. They want sweeping changes to
the status quo, or they want to leave it alone all together and build
something new from scratch. Fine, great sentiments, and v.good to see it
happening in reality.

So, go do your thing (whatever it is), and come and share your marketing
experiences / insights here, but please don't treat the list as some sort
of rally at which to preach / lecture - everyone here's a believer, we're
just going about it in different ways - diversity rules!

--
Peter Beech peteratwebmedia [dot] com (mailto:peteratwebmedia [dot] com)
+44 171 292 5535

Webmedia Group http://www.webmedia.com/