Subject: RE: UKNM: Free vs paid for ISPs
From: Sophie Polani
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 17:59:24 +0100

> Here's an interesting one that will be familiar to those who
> have worked in traditional media. From an advertisers point of view, does an ad
> impression bought on an ISP offering free access have less value than an
> impression bought on an ISP where access is paid for?

It seems to me that one cannot compare free and paid for ISPs to free
and paid for newspapers.

The first major difference is that most free newspapers are not
requested by the reader and there is no guarantee that anyone is even
going to look at it. And if someone did read the publication, it is hard
to evaluate the impact and interest this publication will create...
which questions the value of readership figures, etc...

But for an ISP, the situation is different. Someone switching to or
creating an account with a free ISP has to make that request, and
therefore already shows some interest. The traffic created on this site
will depend on the quality of service / content offered on it. Not on
whether the user has paid for the service or not. (This would then mean
that the value of banner advertising on a free ISP is the same as the
value on a paid for ISP : as banners are generally sold by thousand,
you only get what you pay for.)

I think that the only reason why value could be inferior on a free ISP
is if the audience it attracts is different to the usual Internet
audience : free ISPs should expand the market and make it more
massmarket... And usually, an upmarket audience will be seen as offering
higher value than a downmarket one... This results from the ISP being
free, but is not linked to the quality of the exposure to the
advertising.

Sophie Polani
Media Solutions
spolaniatmedsol [dot] co [dot] uk