Subject: Re: UKNM: US Patents Office and e-commerece
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 14:26:02 +0100

Patents are designed to protect the rights of inventors. I would have
thought it unlikely that any company could restrict pure metaphors such as
online shopping carts and the like. Particularly since their use predates
the patent in question.

International trade agreements (including any single purchase) are normally
located within a jurisdiction or jurisdictions by agreement, so it would be
reasonable for a UK merchant to specify within standard terms that the
transaction is governed by English or Scottish Law. It's not foolproof but
it's a start.

And so I would agree with Marcus that there is nothing to worry about yet.
Some US companies are trying to protect intellectual property rights that
are already in the public domain, or belong privately to other parties, and
then scare everyone off by issuing press releases saying they own
everything.

A bit like registering hundreds of domain names and then trying to sell them
to the people who own the name offline.