Subject: Re: UKNM: US Patents Office and e-commerece
From: Daniel Bambach
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 18:59:38 +0100

There was a discussion I remember from about a year or so ago regarding
a company that had reputedly patented a general process of storing
and streaming audio over the web. (I cant properly remember the company's
name so Im not going to make a stab in the dark and make a mistake)
I saw the patent for this, as we were planning a Music web-site, and they
had caught wind and come down on us full force with their legal documents.

Aparently at the time this company had approached major Music Labels and
distributors with their technology and patent and had actually had them sign
up for it with the promise that if they didnt get on now, theyd be left behind
and perhaps frozen out of the whole on-line audio business!

It didnt take us long to disqualify this from our discussions, but it certainly
caused some waves for a while.

I cant help thinking that those who come brandishing these flimsy patents
should be classed alongside those who jumped on the 'register those big-name
domain names' bandwagon with the hope of selling them for vast amounts of
money later on. Im glad that this particular breed has been seen to, and I
feel that those patents that look so frightening now will go the same way.

Daniel Bambach
mob: 0958 341 258
fax: 0181 588 3634
danmanatomniscience [dot] co [dot] uk