Subject: Re: UKNM: Fast Summit
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 11:29:48 +0100

>I take your point but I believe France Telecom gave away over a million
>Minutel terminals and that the whole thing is still hugely subsidised by#
>them.

That's a bit like saying gas meters are subsidised by British Gas, having
given away millions of them. Minitel is expensive to use and dead slow by
modern standards, hence lots of telephone charges build up for users, adding
to France Telecom's profits and user costs. Minitel was a great service
before the WWW came about. Now it is slowing down the uptake of Internet
services.

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan