Subject: RE: UKNM: Fast Summit
From: Mark Dolley
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 08:35:47 +0100

Steve Andrews,heltaetcatk2net [dot] co [dot] uk wrote on 9/19/98 2:12 AM:

>I take your point but I believe France Telecom gave away over a million
>Minutel terminals and that the whole thing is still hugely subsidised by
>them.

The terminals are subsidised. The online services, however, are a cash
cow for France Telecom -- with rates up to several quid a minute.

Closer to home, the Rt Hon Chris Smith MP, Secretary of State for
Culture, Media and Sport once had the idea of giving away
state-subsidised digital set-top boxes to everyone in the country and
financing the deal by auctioning off access licences.

But not only did it smack of centralised "big" government, it would have
dented Murdoch's plan. And as we all know, he is the one really running
the country.

Cheers,

Mark Dolley z a p w o r k s !

vox:(+1) 415 543 8600