Subject: FLASH: Flash: is: more Mac troubleshooting, and an apology was: Re:Flash crash
From: Frederico
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 06:29:40 +0100

<humblepie>
First, I'd like to apologize for spouting off on the list today. I've
been assisting in the IT support of a new client, formerly mostly
Windoze, who'd recently been "forced" by a temperamental artiste to
convert the graphics department back to Mac, and for some reason, they
thought that meant they had to convert the whole company at one time back
to a single platform (ultimately, a fine idea, but you can imagine the
uproar). As such, a select minority (two) from the windoze-centric side
of the company has a huge chip on its shoulder, and are (perhaps only
subconsciously) running their Macs into the ground, and just don't want
to accept what they've gained, instead favoring to needlessly increase
the IT budget beyond what is needed. Anyhow, the attitude and lack of
simple preventative care just has me on edge, and since decorum forbids
me to chastise these users, I ended up taking it out on the Mac faithful.
It was arrogant, unneccesary, and I apologize.
</humblepie>

<penance>

Rachel said:

>What order should one quit out of applications and
>how do you go about purging the RAM?

Hi Rachel,

It is sound Macwisdom to quit applications in the reverse order in which
they are launched, e.g., if you opened Flash4 first, Freehand second, and
Dreamweaver last, and you no longer need all of them open, you should
quit DW, then FH, then F4. Under no circumstances should you just quit
either Flash or Freehand, leaving Dreamweaver open, and then launch
another application. This will likely cause the RAM to be fragmented, and
thus make any newly opened apps unstable. Repeated quitting and lunching
out of order will eventually (six hours to several days) lead to a crash,
sooner if the System is poorly maintained or configured, and/or depends
heavily on Virtual Memory.

Another element, depending on which Mac you use, whether or not you use
VM or RAM Doubler, and what applications you use, is that some apps are
poorly written (such as Netscape), and fail to release their memory
allocations even upon being quit, even if quit in proper reverse order,
and fragmentation of new apps is effectively guaranteed, as are
subsequent Type 1,2, 3 and 11 crashes.

So, what to do about it? First, you need to employ the reverse-quit
strategy, and second, you should purge the RAM to help release memory.

To aid in the former, if under MacOS 8.5, you have the Application Pallet
now built into the System, and if you use another piece of freeware
called Prestissimo <http://www.polymorph.net/prestissimo.html>, you can
easily set your application pallete prefs to display apps in the order
they are launched, as opposed to alphabetically, as you'll find the
default in the Menubar: Application Menu (upper-right corner of the Mac
display). (note: This can also be done via MacOSHelp, but Prestissimo
makes it much easier)

Now, if you set the pallet to display somewhere on screen, you get a
visual reminder of the launch order, and you can more easily decide what
should be quit (and restarted if needed) in order to prevent
fragmentation. (note: many pieces of shareware, such as GoMac provide
similar functionality, you can decide if you already have this feature
elsewhere).

The second phase of this is MacOSPurge
<http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Archive/cfg/mac-os-purge-101.
hqx> , which, while not always guaranteed to produce satisfactory
results, will at least assist you in deciding if a reboot is needed. If
you place an alias of Purge in a convenient location, you can purge RAM
upon quitting apps (it only takes a second), and it will auto-launch the
'About This Computer' window, and allow you to quickly determine if your
RAM is in good shape, by adding up the amount of RAM used by all listed
apps, with the 'Largest Unused Block' amount, and it should be equal to
the amount of available RAM (the 'Built-in Memory' figure if VM is 'off',
the 'Virtual Memory' figure if VM is 'on').

If you find a discrepancy in the amount of available RAM, and a second or
third use of Purge fails to clear the matter, it's time to reboot, else
beg for an application or System crash.

Getting used to this procedure is quite easy, and soon it will become
second nature. As always, when in doubt, simply reboot, even shutdown for
a few moments, then restart, which is guaranteed to clear the RAM, and
provide you with a new and stable foundation upon which to work.

If you don't have OS 8.5 or better, write back and I'll let you know how
to do it on earlier Systems, and there are, obviously, numerous
variations on this theme to suit your tastes. Of course, this is not the
entire picture to RAM management, as I mentioned previously, use of
dedicated scratch/VM partitions and RAM disks is highly recommended for
even the graphics novice.

Feel free to ask questions on this or other subjects, I'm happy to help.
</penance>

Regards, and Happy Friday

Frederico

~La Fortuna aiuta gli Audaci!~