Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash: is: more Mac troubleshooting, and an apology was: Re:Flash crash
From: Bill
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:24:13 +0100

At 11:21 PM -0600 7/22/99, Frederico wrote:
> It is sound Macwisdom to quit applications in the reverse order in which
>they are launched, e.g., if you opened Flash4 first, Freehand second, and
>Dreamweaver last, and you no longer need all of them open, you should
>quit DW, then FH, then F4. Under no circumstances should you just quit
>either Flash or Freehand, leaving Dreamweaver open, and then launch
>another application. This will likely cause the RAM to be fragmented, and
>thus make any newly opened apps unstable. Repeated quitting and lunching
>out of order will eventually (six hours to several days) lead to a crash,
>sooner if the System is poorly maintained or configured, and/or depends
>heavily on Virtual Memory.

All good advice, Frederico. The memory leak, IMO, is the MacOSs
biggest problem. I cringe when I forget and quit Photoshop out of
order. The best way of getting memory (and stability) back is of
course to restart. I have discovered that if my memory is badly
fragmented and I quit the finder. There are a number of ways of doing
this. I usually run DFA which also quits all background processes, I
OFTEN get back all my memory, and it does not disconnect my ISP
connection in my configuration. This saves me about 5 minutes of
restarting and reconnecting to my ISP vs 30 sec to run DFA (keep your
directories optimized with Diskwarrior and it runs MUCH faster).

Let's hope MOS 9 and certainly MOS X solve this problem.

Regards,

Bill Blank