Subject: FLASH: GoTo Action failure (VERY creepy)
From: Marcel Trenchard
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 19:15:33 +0100

First off, I want to state that this apparent bug is NOT a simple case of
conflicting Actions. There is only one Button Action at frame 2 and one Stop
Frame-Action at the very end in the entire movie in question.

I'm building a preloader where each frame contains a bitmap. Once a bitmap
loads the timeline should progress to the next frame and load another
bitmap. I have 18 bitmaps to load. On another layer there is a "skip
preLoader" button with a GoTo action. The GoTo sends the playback head to
frame 19 (frame 19 is where the course begins).
This is how the "skip" button action appears in the Object Inspector -
On (Release)
Go to and Stop (19)
End On

The only other action(frame, button, or otherwise) in the entire movie is
the Stop on the last frame.
There is nothing on frame 19 except for a big ugly red rectangle just for
debugging purposes. For some reason, the "Skip preLoader" button is not
performing the action. See 4 yourself -
swf file -http://www.trenchard.net/debug.swf
fla file -http://www.trenchard.net/debug.fla
**warning: these are Flash 4 files that may crash if you only have the 3.0
plug-in**

The only time the offending button works is when the movie is cached by the
browser and/or played locally (which is useless if you're trying to build a
preloader).

I've seen so many "skip intro" buttons in dozens of Flash movies. That's all
this is, really. So..what gives flashers?

thanks ya'll,
marcel trenchard