Subject: RE: FLASH: GoTo Action failure (VERY creepy)
From: Eric Smollin
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 19:53:47 +0100

Hi Marcel.

>I'm building a preloader where each frame contains a bitmap. Once a bitmap
>loads the timeline should progress to the next frame and load another
>bitmap. I have 18 bitmaps to load. On another layer there is a "skip
>preLoader" button with a GoTo action. The GoTo sends the playback head to
>frame 19 (frame 19 is where the course begins).
>This is how the "skip" button action appears in the Object Inspector -
>On (Release)
> Go to and Stop (19)
>End On

>The only other action(frame, button, or otherwise) in the entire movie is
>the Stop on the last frame.
>There is nothing on frame 19 except for a big ugly red rectangle just for
>debugging purposes. For some reason, the "Skip preLoader" button is not
>performing the action. See 4 yourself -
>swf file -http://www.trenchard.net/debug.swf
>fla file -http://www.trenchard.net/debug.fla

When I checked the .swf online over a T1 it jumped right to the red
rectangle. When I checked the movie in Flash with streaming turned on, I saw
what you described. The problem is that you are trying to go to a frame that
has not loaded yet.

What you can do is make a Movie Clip (I am assuming that your course will
consist of one or more MC's) and put your red rectangle in that. Make sure
that the first frame of your MC is blank and there is a stop action in the
second frame. Place the rectangle in the third keyframe and label it
"rectangle" and give it a stop action. Now take that movie clip and drag it
to the main stage, in the first frame of the bottom layer. Give it an
Instance Name of "Rectangle." Now, the MC will load even before the bitmaps,
and you give the "skip" button the following action:

On (release)
begin tell target ("/rectangle")
Go to and play ('/rectangle")
End Tell target
End On

Before all of that you will need to give the button an action to go to a
frame that is blank (park it) or else the MC containing the rectangle will
load right on top of the intro screen.

Hope that made sense. If not you can email me off list and I will send you
back your .fla so you can see what I am talking (rambling) about.

-Eric-