Subject: FLASH: OT: bmp image scaling
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 03:32:00 +0100

> How are you supposed to scale something with bitmaps?
> They get ugly.

Recently someone (Burt and I'm sorry I've lost his last name somehow) on the
hwg-techniques list put up a page with graphics that scale without too much
quality loss (there is still some) by allowing the browser to resize the
image (using %s in the width tag). The trick seems to have been to provide a
width percentage but not height, keeping the proportions the same but
allowing scaling. (At least I think this is how he did it and it seems to
work on my sites. I suppose it would work equally well to provide height but
not width.)

The url is: http://harmco.hypermart.net/test/top.html

I think this would work equally well for flash movies with bmp images,
although it may be kind of complicated when using framesets with more than
one image in separate frames (I haven't yet been able to get the proportions
right in that case). It also might work better to plan the image to fit in a
very large screen size and then allow the browser to scale down, as there is
more quality loss if the image is enlarged. It would still take some careful
tweaking of the image size in the first place to make sure the proportions
work well at several resolutions. In any case, it's a cool idea and worth
playing with :)

Laura